Email

domesticanddamned@gmail.com

Friday, May 7, 2010

Eat Pray Love -Book

I just finished reading this. Took me about a week.
I should have started this post few days ago as things and thoughts were coming to me while reading, but I wasn't that smart.

This was part emotional roller coaster, part spiritual guide book for me.
Everyone I've talked to have been split right down the middle on this book, either loving it or hating it.
I loved it.

I found the first section, the EAT, section heavy. No pun intended.  I realize that it happened at a dark time in her life, and therefore was heavy.  It was her coming out of her depression. Yes, I did identify with it.  It had me asking myself some of the same questions and nodding my head saying "you're totally right babe"

I zipped through the second section, the PRAY, section in under two days.  I connected with it the most.  There was one spot where I wanted to start a blog post (really wish I had now) about the truth of FAITH. But I chickened out. 

The last section, the LOVE, section that had me staggering.  It took the longest for me to read.  Pure and simple, I'm not anywhere near that part of my own life. I'm still back in the border of the EAT and the PRAY parts. 

This is one of those books that has you in awe that it's a true story. Elizabeth Gilbert is a very brave and inspiring woman. To look Faith in the eye and basically say "come to me I believe in you" without flinching, to except that divinity is an all consuming idea. 
I could go on for a very long ramble on my views of Faith (which I encompass as ALL religions/spiritual paths) but I don't feel the need right now.  Maybe later. 

I will say this,  EAT PRAY LOVE is a book that you do not go looking for, it comes looking for you. 

7 comments:

  1. Happy SITS Saturday! I'm glad you were my designated blog today. I think I would truly enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SITS Sharefest visitor & I couldn't agree more about Eat Pray Love. The best way to read the book is when the book find you. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I decided after a conversation with a friend, to post some of my thoughts on the topic on my other blog http://domesticanddamned2.blogspot.com/2010/05/faith.html for anyone who is brave enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! A friend of mine bought me the sequel "Committed" but I haven't had time to read it yet. I just hope it's as good. For myself, I think I'm still at the "pray" stage...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ca88andra... I saw her do an interview on "Q" which is a Canadian show, talking about Committed. It's on my to buy list, so let me know what you think when you do read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SOunds like a good read....I'm going to check out your post on your other blog. Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kerri... thanks. The book is very good but you have to be in the right frame of mind for it. My sister got less then ten pages into and tossed it.

    ReplyDelete