Email

domesticanddamned@gmail.com

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Okay Good to know

My Uncle has been a Chef since I was born. So for the last 36 years he's worked around town in hotel kitchens.

I was talking to him the other day about food, and had asked a question about something (at this point it's actually been over a week and I can't remember what the recipe I was wanting was) and he shrugged saying he'd never heard of it.

Pardon me? What?

I made a couple of more comments and he just laughed and said "What are you asking me for?"

This got me wondering. I started talking about the Leek and Potato soup recipe I had gotten from my friend in Edmonton, and a second way to use Parsnips other then boiling. He had no answers for me.

"Hang on, you mean I know more about food then you do?" He shrugged and said nothing.

I've been dabbling in cooking off and on for a decade, only serious for the last year. How could I know more then him?
My sister the Goddess reminded me that our Uncle works in a hotel 15 hours a day making the same 10 things over and over and over. Uncle cooks for work not for fun. And when he comes home and on his one day off a week, he spends it doing everything BUT in the kitchen.

Kinda sad really.

1 comment:

  1. That's odd, but makes perfect sense when you think about it. Still, I would be super disappointed if I met a man who was a chef and all he could make me was what's on the menu at work, LOL.

    ReplyDelete