Email

domesticanddamned@gmail.com

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Don't do that Everyone is doing that

Photo by me copyright hcvp'07

I love vampires. I have my whole life. I have written more then one story over the years in the vampire genre.
I also write romance novels.

The novel I have been working on for the last year is a straight up romance. The kind you would have seen in Harlequin Romance 20 years ago. When I got hooked up in the mess that was the Local Author she told me to go with the vampire shorts.
I don't really write shorts. I write full length novels. But I listened to her when I should not. Big mess.
My sister the Goddess works at Chapters/Indigo/Coles the big book chain store, and when I told her what I was planning at the time, she scrunched up her nose and said "Don't do the vampires. Everyone is doing vampires do you know how many crappy vampire books I have to shelf every bloody night? Too freaking many. Honestly, it might sell but you would be forgotten in 30 seconds like a bag of greasy potato chips. No. Be original go with your romance novel. At lest the premise of that one is interesting. You'll get a sold fan base."

Here is the thing. The Goddess and I don't really get alone, so for her to confirm what I was already thinking, well slightly thinking, as I believe completely that the romance novel I am working on has more depth and a better chance at being taken more seriously then just a random vampire story.
Don't get me wrong, I have devoted my life to the vampire genre, but this is the exact time to pull back from that genre as everyone is doing vampires right now. The best time to show my other strengths and produce something little more then the popular culture is getting right now.
What I am seeing out there right now in the supernatural genre is like marshmallow fluff. Too sweet and will rot your teeth and your brain. Give you indigestion too.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck writing your story! I am stopping over from SITS! I hope you can write about vampires in a real way that connects with people! I love that you have a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.
    I hope my works are different enough, and when they are not, I have the guts to say they are not.

    ReplyDelete