Email

domesticanddamned@gmail.com

Friday, February 26, 2010

SAH...Do I have to?


I miss working outside of the house.
Miss the years I worked in an office, miss the years I worked at the local television station, miss the years I worked with the flower delivery company as a secretary.

After my back injury 13 years ago, I landed on disability, and for that first year I was like "whoopie I have all this time to write"
That got old fast. Now, I would just like a reason to get out of my pajamas every day and have someplace to go.

I have a briefcase and travel mug that would like to be used. Seriously, I actually still have a briefcase. One of those hard cased ones. It sits in the corner of my living room covered in dust because I haven't been able to use it in 13 years. I'm suddenly feeling very American Psycho. You know the part where the lead character is talking about the one up-manship of the business cards. Yeah, that's how we were with our briefcases.
While on the topic of movie office gear, you know the scene in Reality Bites when Ryder's character holds up her dayplanner and it's jam packed with pages and sticky notes, yeah mine used to look like that too. Now, it is very empty and thin. Just when did my dayplanner go on a diet anyway?

4 comments:

  1. The grass always seems to be greener, eh? Use the travel mug around the house. I think it might make you feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, here from SITS. While reading your post I kept thinking, "Take my job!! Take it!! The travel, the office politics, the blah..." :) But I can see how you are going stir crazy. I'm not sure the nature of your injury - but what if you brainstormed all of the things you LOVE to do and then worked out a plan to do something in one of those areas? I'd highly recommend Dan Miller - 48 Days To The Work You Love. Even as good reading material - who knows? It might spark a brainstorming session or something which could be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I trudge reluctantly into work tomorrow, I'm going to remember this post-- and try to find the silver lining.

    I'm in TV news too-- what did you used to do at a station?

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany... Thanks, I will put that title on my Chapters Wish List.

    Elizabeth... I was a bit of everything. Worked camera, video editing, on air. I was a weather girl at the college station when I started, and then for a short summer after I graduated, I was a horror hostess for the local station. But that was back in the early 1990's.

    ReplyDelete